Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Random Thoughts and Ramblings on Veteran's Day

So how about some randomness for the AM? In case you’ve never gone on this journey, sometimes I like to just write whatever random stuff is going on in my mind at any given moment. I may spend more time on some topics than others; some topics may only contain a sentence or a question. Also, the fact that my Community Coffee is just now taking affect may make this post particularly interesting.

I posted a story courtesy of WCBI-TV in Columbus, MS that reports that Governor Haley Barbour (R) will likely recommend that Mississippi State University and Mississippi University for Women be merged. There are a lot of good things that would come out of that (ex: MUW students having a chance to participate in athletics – the W closed their athletic program during the 2002/2003 school year) but there would also be a lot of history sent out the door. The W was opened in 1884 as Industrial Institute and College. MUW is also the country’s first state-run college that was intended for women. The W has been admitting men since 1982. The W offers several majors and areas of study including culinary arts and nursing and they boast several notable graduates including Eudora Welty (and if you don’t know who she is, Google her and read some of her work). All in all, the move would be beneficial to the students, bad for those who will surely lose their job and an all around interesting endeavor.

Healthcare reform is, obviously, a big topic right now. The bill was approved by the House of Representatives and the debate has now moved to the Senate. President Obama wants the bill voted on and signed into law by the end of the year. Yeah, file that under “unlikely.” The simple fact is, this is a complicated issue. There are lots of details to iron out and, quite frankly, I think there are too many issues and they may not be able to get it passed. Abortion is one of the biggest hot buttons. Currently there’s an amendment stating that federal insurance money can’t be used to cover most abortions. NOW and liberal Democrats want that taken out. That’s just one of the issues to be ironed out. As for my opinions on it, I’ve been pretty vocal on that already. Now, I don’t like insurance companies excluding people due to pre-existing conditions, canceling coverage for people who are “too sick” and other practices like those. I agree that they’re wrong, especially being a victim of such practices when I was a child. But the question we need to ask is do we really want Uncle Barry Obama and his ilk having so much control over our healthcare that it amounts to a complete takeover? I’m not sure I want that to happen. There are many countries that have government-run healthcare and, in a lot of cases, they’re complete train wrecks. Do we really want this for the US?

I vented in a Facebook/Twitter status about how I’m sick of teenagers having babies. The number of kids having kids these days is outright scary. I’m telling you right now, a big part of the problem in Mississippi is because sex education is non-existent. Like it or not, the schools are going to have to step in and educate these kids on the harsh realities and consequences of risky sex. You would be amazed at how many teenagers don’t know that sex can result in pregnancy. Read that again. Yes, you read it correctly. Parents are afraid to talk to their kids about sex. A lot of the rationale behind that is that they’re scared it will encourage their kids to have sex. OH PLEASE! We need to wake up and educate these kids on the consequences of their actions. If parents won’t do it then the schools ought to and fast.

Finally: Today is Veteran’s Day in the United States. I’ve had several relatives serve in the military and I’m proud of every one of them. Had it not been for men and women who serve in the armed forces we would not enjoy the freedoms that we have today. Even back in the days of the Revolutionary War and Civil War and as recent as the war on terror we’ve gained protection of our freedoms from the soldiers’ sacrifices. I thank all my friends reading this who are serving or have served in the military. Thank you for sacrificing yourselves, your time with your families and all that you have for my freedom. Thank you for protecting me and my family. Most of all, thank you for just being you.

I hope you have a wonderful day. Thank you for going on this strange journey with me yet again. May God bless you and keep you!

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment