Sunday, November 15, 2009

Random Thoughts and Ramblings 11/15/09

“Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re gonna get.” – Forrest Gump

The above quote… isn’t that the truth?! I never thought that when I wrote again we would have looked at and made an offer on a house. Assuming that all goes the way it appears to be going, we should close on the house just before Christmas. The house is just outside of Stonewall, probably about a mile from where we’re living now. It’s three bed/two bath, has about 1800 square eet and is in the Enterprise school district (one of the top ten school districts in the state). We got an outstanding deal on it and we’re both very excited. As soon as we can, we’re going to start the moving process. I doubt we’re going to throw a packing party or anything like that but if you have boxes or anything like that please feel free to message me and we’ll work something out. Not sure when the big day could be yet, probably not until the first of the year or so. All in all, it’s an exciting time and we’re excited beyond measure.

By the way, I highly recommend working with a Realtor® if you buy a house and not just the one representing the seller. We’re working with an awesome lady who’s made sure we got a great deal and that all the details are taken care of!

Are you on Twitter? I have to admit, I fought getting a Twitter account but I’ve actually really come to enjoy it. It’s got some interesting people and you can find things on there that you can’t find on Facebook and the other social networking sites. Twitter is truly its own little world and it’s an interesting one. Some things that people tweet (Twitterism for “posting”) about are just plain crazy but often great information and even wisdom can be found on there. It’s truly a great way to keep up with what people are doing, thinking or complaining about.

Different topics pop up as “trending” (which means lots of people are tweeting about it) and right now there’s one called “#youmightbealiberalif.” I found one from a guy whose screen name is @GumboCzar: “#youmightbealiberalif your only standard is a double standard.” Great food for thought and so true! Want an example? There is a public school district in Indiana that has several Muslim students. This school district will allow these students to leave in the middle of class to pray several times a day. I don’t have a problem with someone practicing their faith and I’m glad that the school district will respect their beliefs (although I can see where it would be a distraction). What I do have a problem with is that if a Christian student wants to pray then it’s a major issue, one worthy of the Supreme Court getting involved. It’s absolutely ridiculous that people of faiths other than Christianity can do as they please while Christians are often scorned and attempts are made to prevent them from practicing their faith as they see fit. Christians lose their rights while people of other faiths gain more. Jesus warned that we would be persecuted in the last days. Well, that right there should tell you something. People, get ready: Jesus is coming! I pray He comes quickly.

Sorry, I had to stop for a minute because I had a knock on my door from the FBI. They were investigating allegations that I was openly praying.

People really do keep an eye on what people Tweet about. We found this out first hand not long ago. I tweeted about the fact that our electric company left a big pile of tree limbs in our yard. A few days later, the district manager called the house to find out what happened. Apparently they have an employee who as part of his job checks Twitter for tweets containing the company’s name. They found mine, tracked down what happened and contacted us about it. I have to admit, it was kind of cool… and also scary!

Can I complain about the media again? I just don’t understand it. A few days ago I couldn’t watch the news because it was all just making me mad. The news itself wasn’t making me mad (although a lot of it does do just that) but rather the spin was making me impatient. I can’t stand all the junk the various networks and writers have to put along with the news. There is no news anymore, it’s all just rhetoric. You get your news from CNN and ABC if you’re a lefty and from Fox… well, only Fox if you’re a righty. It’s ridiculous! Why can’t we just have news, straight and unbiased? I guess that’s never going to happen again. Joe Friday summed up what we should have from our media when he told a lady that all he wanted was “just a facts.” That’s all we need! I don’t care about your opinions on the stories, I want to know what happened and what the data is so I can form my own opinion. The media’s role is to report the news, not define it. Will we ever return to those days? Probably not. What it does mean is that we all are going to have to work hard to sort out the junk from the actual news.

Unless, of course, you just want to swallow the Kool-Aid from your particular political party’s ideology.

If you saw my Facebook or Twitter status today you know that I’ve been having an issue with AT&T. See, we live in a town that, according to the map, only had moderate coverage. Normally we have a good signal, even in our house. Every so often it will go to virtually nothing and will remain that way for several days. This has been happening off and on for the years that my wife has lived here and, of course, during the year that I’ve lived here. It’s ridiculous. Finally, after talking to three separate customer service reps (one of which tried to make it sound like I’m crazy and don’t even get me started on the one Jess talked to; I likely would have had a word with him if I could have), I find out that there’s been a trouble ticket on this tower for quite some time and they’re finally going to have a crew climb the tower to check the antenna. There may also be a problem with the transmitter. So, all this time they’ve likely been putting “Band-Aids” on the problem but not actually fixing the problem and now we’re without a cell phone signal until they finally have someone say, “yep, it’s broken!” This type of thing is how many companies operate today. They put temporary fixes on problems, knowing they won’t permanently fix the problem, and keep doing it until the problem is so bad they don’t have a choice but to take definitive action. Here’s a bright idea: STOP WITH THE BAND-AIDS! Fix the problem when you know there’s a problem. Make it right with customers and stop treating them like morons. As it stands right now, we would likely look at another cell phone provider if we were in a position to do so. This kind of aggravation is stupid and it would not have happened had AT&T just fixed the problem right after they should have realized that there was a bigger problem. It took them this long to realize that there might be a problem with the antenna? Please.

And finally, a quote from one of my favorite new websites: TextsFromLastNight. Now, I’m not going to lie to you: They have some texts on there that, we shall say, are “adult” in nature but they also have some really funny texts that people have sent or received when they probably shouldn’t have done so. Here’s one of my favorites right now:

(310): i just made an omelette with the cheese and ham from a lunchables. and ketchup packets
(818): julia child would be proud.

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment